||Universal List - Features
Create DNN Forms, Lists and Applications with No Coding
Universal List (UL) is as powerful as it is easy to use. Within minutes you can build custom, data-driven applications or edit data from an existing DotNetNuke SQL database table.
First, UL lets you create new tables and fields or pick from existing ones. Then UL automatically creates pages that let users create, read, update and delete (CRUD) records. All data is created and stored directly in the database - not XML files. Finally, using templates and built-in features, administrators can modify the pages, restrict access, set notifications, bulk upload records from a spreadsheet, and generate reports at the click of a button.
Much of UL's power lies in its easy-to-understand interface. There are no complicated installations or paradigms to understand. Just enter the configuration section to build or choose your table(s), manage your settings and edit one of four templates. To work with your data just exit the configuration section and click to add, view, sort, filter, find, edit or delete data.
Universal List currently offers the following capabilities:
- Easy Installation - UL installs cleanly and quickly and does not require you to make any special changes anywhere within DNN.
- The Public Side - To the users of your site, a UL application is made up of three pages - 1) Data List/Grid, 2) Record Detail page, and 3) Add/Edit Form. The List/Grid page offers advanced features like bulk uploading and downloading, sorting, search, filters, and pagination. Users can also navigate between tables for individual records
- The Admin Side - Administrators click the 'Configuration' link to access UL's control panel. This section lets you choose or create tables and fields; edit the templates which control how the three public pages look and work; create sort orders and data filters; control security (who can perform what actions on what data); etc...
- Build Your Own Data Structure - Administrators can create custom-named tables and fields, choose the data type for each field, and determine whether the field is required or can be searched. They can also restrict non-host account admins from accessing existing tables within the database. UL creates actual tables and fields within your DNN SQL database. Data is not stored in an intermediary format like XML or within proprietary tables.
- Maintain Data from Other Applications & Modules - Since UL can read any table in your DNN module, you can use it to upload, download, create, read, update and delete data wherever it is stored.
- Relational Data - With a few clicks, you can create dropdown boxes which are populated with data from another table. Called "Data Binding through Cascading References," UL allows data across tables to be bound together in "One-To-One" and "One-To-Many" relationships. To users this means dropdown boxes speed data entry and links can be followed to get more details about a record. To administrators data integrity is assured and complicated data relationships are easy to display.
- Templates & Tokens - Using DNN's integrated WYSIWYG text editor or simple HTML/CSS, administrators can customize the layout of list, detail and edit pages - plus almost all other aspects including sorting, search, filters, etc. Data fields and page elements (like filters and pagination) are easily referred to within the templates using Tokens separated by delimiters. For example, to display the data in the field LastName for the current record, you simply enter #LASTNAME# into the template. Use the mouse-driven text editor to change the font properties to affect how the data looks on the page.
- Multiple Views For The Same Data - With UL you can create different views of the same table. Drop the UL module on one page, set security and hide a few fields for one set of users. Add the UL module on another page for the same table to display different data, in a different way to a different group of users.
- Bulk Import and Export - Use Excel, CSV or XML files to quickly fill in your database, create a table structure, or export records. UL lets you match database fields to spreadsheet columns and enter default values for those fields with no data before processing the file.
- DNN Role-Based Security - Quickly control who can do what where. Using DNN's security roles, you can control who can view, delete, add, edit, export, import or change data in your application. The Host admin can also restrict other administrators from accessing specific tables within DNN. There's also a setting to allow users to edit or delete only their own data (ie. records entered by other users cannot be edited).
- Keyword Search - UL provides its own built-in search feature. Users can enter multiple keywords in any order to find just the data they want across the fields in your table.
- Sorting - Administrators can create Predefined Sorts which determine which fields in what order are sorted by default on the List/Grid page. UL also lets users choose their own sort order.
- Filtering - Administrators can filter records from being displayed using logic statements or keywords for each field. Users can also limit record sets by building their own filters or set no data records to be displayed as a default.
- Pagination - By changing the parameters of the pagination token (or removing it from your template), you can control the number of records which will be displayed by default and allow a user to change this number via a dropdown box. Users can also navigate by page number.
- Notifications - When data is manually added or changed, email notifications of the current and previous data in each field (plus who and when the data was modified) can be sent to the email addresses of your choice.
- Localization - Ability to change labels and words displayed throughout the module.
- Links with Parameters - Using UL, you can construct hyperlinks to internal pages or external sites by passing variables and data. This is useful when passing data to other modules on the site or external sites (like ecommerce).
- Date Picker Control - When you choose a data view type of 'date', UL automatically places a link to a popup calendar to make data entry easier.
- Image & File Data View Types - When you choose the 'Image' or 'File' data view types, data editors are presented with a simple and intuitive browse, upload or remove interface. Viewers of the data can view images or download files associated with a given record.
- Flexible Licensing Options - Download and try UL now for free. If it meets your needs, a domain-specific license allows you to create unlimited applications within DNN for a single domain. Additional domains are available individually or in packages at discounted rates. Finally, a source code / unlimited enterprise license is available for those with specific needs.